If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” Mark 9:23
Prayer Pals is a brand new scheme running in the emerge groups, which aids Burlington's young people in developing their social relationships with one another and also their prayer lives.
They regularly meet and chat at least once a week to pray together and just have a good old 'God chat'. This may 'normally' be referred to as 'Accountability Partners', which is where we actively encourage and pray with another person.
This idea is brand new so we are still building and 'test running' this idea with some of our young people, but for the time being we're just leaving things to God!
Prayer Pals is what other churches/Christian places would normally call ‘accountability partners’. This is where two people come together and pray and encourage one another in their Christian faiths.
To create a more in-depth prayer life with ‘The Big G’ yet also to encourage one another in our individual faiths wherever we’re at spiritually.
The Way it works...
We encourage you to pray with your prayer pal at least once a week. You can send prayer requests lists or just chat about praying/God/other spiritually stuff and we should not be disadvantaged as we have mobile phones, email, Facebook, face to face, msn etc. there is so much to use to keep in contact there should be no problems.
The ‘Rules which we won’t call rules but really are sort of rules’...
There has to be some sort of guidance to this or some things may go a bit pear shaped. These have been suggested for “’Elf and Shafety’” reasons, good reasons and ‘weird situation’ reasons. Please follow these as these are vital if this is going to work well and not make people feel uncomfortable :-)
• Anything discussed is strictly confidential according to the BBC guidelines, (HOWEVER if something has been said which is disturbing/upsetting/in need of outside help please let Claire/another suitable adult know ASAP!)
• We suggest that you chat at least once a week (Even 15 mins out of one day leaves you 23 hrs and 15 mins to catch up on important stuff e.g. School work and Mock the Week!)
• ENCOURAGE (spot the buzzword!) each other. None of us are going to have the same spiritual/life experiences as other people so don’t shun other people for being awesome and unique!
• Be open minded to other peoples ideas! They may have found a really good book/prayer strategy to help you too!
• For the ‘weird situation reason’ there will be no mixed genders praying together.
• You may find you and you’re partner just aren’t really working out. This is OK!! You mustn’t feel guilty or stay together for the sake of it if it’s really not working! Let Claire now and she’ll sort something out.
• I can’t think of anything else...but hey this is a brand new thing and people may get new ideas so if you have anything to contribute let us know!